Monolith Medium Submission Guidelines
The editors invite submissions of film criticism and other essays that utilize film to advance a conversation of narrative, aesthetics, and meaning. These are by no means narrow categories; please see our journal for examples of the type of material we would like to publish. We are not interested in reviews per se, but if you have something particularly important to say, we’d love to read it.
We are reading year-round and will aim to provide you with a response within 1-2 months.
We only accept submissions through Submittable. There is a $3.00 charge for submissions to cover service costs. This is not a reading fee. Please do not submit via email; it will neither be read nor responded to.
Once per quarter, we will announce our top three favorite pieces and award those writers with $100, $75, and $50 prizes, respectively. In other words, if we publish your piece, you are automatically entered to win our prize.
If you submit and do not hear back before we announce the winners, don't fret. You are still being considered for the next quarter.
1. We do not accept previously published work. This includes self-publication and work that appears online. We retain First North American Serial Rights (FNASR). All other rights revert back to the writer.
2. We are looking for writing between 750 and 3000 words in length, but we will consider anything reasonably outside this range.
3. We do not subscribe to any particular style but reserve the right to make edits. The writer will be provided a final version for his/her approval before publication.
4. Submissions should be limited to one essay at a time. Subsequent pages should be numbered and include the author’s name.
5. Your cover letter should include, at least, your name and email. Bios are not necessary but welcomed.
6. We allow simultaneous submissions, but please notify us immediately in the event of an acceptance elsewhere.
7. As with most journals, it is recommended that you peruse our site before submitting.
8. Upon publication, the writer will be notified, and the piece will be featured at the top of our journal page and spread via our socials.